The Elections Office has pressed the pause button on all preparations for the 19 Dec. referendum on the heels of the Tuesday’s Grand Court decision to delay the vote on government’s port project.
In a statement late Tuesday the Elections Office said all postal ballot requests received to date that have not yet been issued and will be held securely pending further developments from the Grand Court.
“All postal ballots that have been received or that are being returned to the Elections Office at present will also be kept securely,” the statement said.
The brief statement also indicated all other activities relating to the referendum such as mobile voting are also suspended.
“Additional guidance will be issued by the Elections Office as the legal matters proceed through the Grand Court,” the statement added.
Last week the Elections Office said a total of 280 postal ballots were issued for the referendum on government’s $200 million cruise berthing and cargo project.
It said just under 30 % of the postal ballots issued have been returned, with the Elections Office receiving 81 sealed postal ballot envelopes as of last Thursday.
On Tuesday Grand Court judge Tim Owen granted Shirley Roulstone, a member of Cayman Port Referendum Cayman, leave to apply for judicial review of the referendum.
The National Trust for the Cayman Islands, which had also filed similar legal action, agreed to join Roulstone’s case because both actions tackle the environmental aspects of the project.