Premier Alden McLaughlin said Tuesday that his concern that the referendum on the cruise and cargo project would be delayed had been realised.
In a brief statement following the announcement of the Grand Court’s decision, McLaughlin said, “As I have been saying for the past few weeks, the referendum was at risk.”
He added, “We will now need to await the judicial review in January before having a clear idea as to the way forward. I do believe the majority of the country was prepared to go to the polls and vote in the referendum on the 19th of December.”
Government also released a brief statement on its Support Our Tourism Facebook page indicating that its slate of public meetings was now cancelled.
“In light of the the court’s decision all Cayman Islands Government public meetings this week in East End, North Side and Cayman Brac are postponed until further notice,” the statement said.
McLaughlin confirmed in his statement that 19 Dec. would remain a public holiday as it was too late to change.