More than 1,300 Caribbean Utilities Company customers were left in the dark for several hours on Saturday after a utility pole caught fire in Lime Tree Bay.
According to CUC, a tree was the cause of the fire as its branches came into contact with power lines, sparking the ensuing blaze on the pole.
The incident has prompted the power company to remind the public to refrain from planting large trees close to power lines.
CUC also advised in a statement that it is the customers’ responsibility to maintain trees on their property to ensure they are at least 10 feet away from power lines.
“In cases where trees are within 10 feet of power lines, customers are advised to contact CUC’s Customer Service Team,” CUC said.
Saturday’s pole fire, CUC said, affected 1,313 customers located from The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman on West Bay Road/Esterley Tibbetts Highway to the Hydesville Substation on Willie Farrington Drive in West Bay.
Customers experienced interruptions to their electricity service in varying durations starting from 5:58pm. Power was restored to 1,213 customers between 7pm and 9:45pm, with the final 100 customers reconnected by 1:38am on Sunday.
CUC said the Cayman Islands Fire Service extinguished the blaze, and line crews worked throughout Saturday evening and into the early Sunday morning hours to restore power and repair the damaged equipment.
The company is advising people to call 949-5200, email [email protected] or visit the Company’s website at www.cuc-cayman.com to arrange for trees located near power lines to be trimmed.
How do you feel after reading this?