Two die in motorcycle accidents

Illegal firearm recovered from rider

Police are appealing for witnesses to a fatal motorcycle accident that occurred late Sunday afternoon following a disturbance at an organised motorsport event at High Rock in East End.

Police were called at 4.41pm to a report of public disorder by a group of individuals at the event. A firearm and other weapons were involved in the incident, said a RCIP press release.

The offenders left the scene before the police arrived but officers got a description of one of the males involved, who was riding a motorcycle.

A police patrol near the roundabout by Kings Sports Centre sighted the motorcycle travelling into Crewe Road. The police vehicle followed and attempted to stop the motorcycle but it sped away. Near Sister Janice’s Pre-School, the motorcycle crossed the centre line of the road and struck a taxi cab travelling in the opposite direction.

The Fire Service and paramedics attended the scene of the accident. The male died from his injuries, police said.

An illegal firearm was recovered from the rider of the motorcycle, the release said.

Police are investigating the illegal possession of the firearm and the circumstances surrounding the collision.

‘This serious incident involving illegal firearms is being fully investigated,’ Police Commissioner Stuart Kernohan said in the press release.

‘The circumstances surrounding the short pursuit prior to the collision is also being comprehensively examined by the Traffic Department.

‘It would appear at this early stage of the investigation that the rider of the motorcycle failed to stop for the police as he was in possession of an illegal firearm following the disturbance in the East End district,’ he said.

Police are appealing for witnesses to both the disturbance and the collision. Witnesses should contact Detective Inspector Walton on 244- 2916 or Chief Inspector Courtney Myles of the Traffic Department on 946-6254.

Another fatality occurred Sunday in a separate incident at the High Rock motorsport event.

The 911 Emergency Communication Centre received a call at 4.41pm that a male had crashed his motorcycle and was unconscious and not breathing.

Police, paramedics and the Fire Service attended the scene. Police said it is still unclear whether the male was participating in the event.

He was transported to the Cayman Islands Hospital where he died from his injuries, police said.

Names of the deceased have not yet been release.

Support local journalism. Subscribe to the all-access pass for the Cayman Compass.

Subscribe now