Cuban migrant escapee caught

A Cuban migrant who went free for nearly three days after escaping from the Immigration Department’s George Town detention centre Christmas night was captured Thursday afternoon.

Immigration enforcement officer Gary Watler said 25-year-old Lester Camejo Suarez was found near The Pinnacle resort at 1:45pm on 28 December. Mr. Watler said Suarez was arrested without incident, and was taken back into custody for repatriation.

Suarez was picked up in a boat along with 14 other Cuban migrants off the coast of Cayman Brac earlier this month, and was being kept in the detention centre until his 25 December escape.

Authorities believe Suarez got away between 6pm and 7pm while detainees at the center were outside playing football.

Chief Immigration Officer Franz Manderson said there would be an investigation into the escape.

Assistant Chief Immigration Officer Jeannie Lewis said Suarez had committed no crime, and was never a danger to the community. Ms Lewis said it was only the second time she could remember an escape from the Immigration Department’s detention facility.

Ms Lewis said the previous escapee was caught shortly after he got out.

0
0

NO COMMENTS