Pole fire sparks outage

A fire at an electricity distribution pole on North Sound Road knocked out power to both businesses and residents in the George Town area early Wednesday morning.

Officials with the Caribbean Utilities Company said the outage mainly affected businesses in the area, but they said some residents were affected as well.

The Cayman Islands Fire Service quickly contained the small pole fire.

CUC said similar fires occur from time to time due to salt contamination of the wooden power poles. High winds and rough seas often carry salt spray across the island, which gets onto the poles.

Service was out from between 3.45am and 7.30am for businesses on North Sound Road, the Airport, the Industrial Park, parts of Eastern Avenue, Shedden Road, and Elgin Avenue.

Support local journalism. Subscribe to the all-access pass for the Cayman Compass.

Subscribe now