A brand of vegetarian snack food, which is potentially contaminated with salmonella, has not been found in the Cayman Islands, say Department of Environmental Health officials.
Food-safety officers checked supermarkets for Veggie Booty Snack Food, but did not find the product on local shelves, said DEH Director Roydell Carter.
‘We are committed to ensuring that Cayman’s food supply remains safe for public consumption,’ he said in a DEH press release.
The check came after the food’s manufacturer, Robert’s American Gourmet Food Inc, issued a recall for the US and Canada on 28 June because of concerns with the product, although there have been no confirmed positive results to date.
The company was notified by the US Food and Drug Administration and the US Centres for Disease Control and Prevention of 51 cases of salmonella across 17 states, associated or related to the consumption of Veggie Booty. The cases predominately were found in children three years of age or younger.
Salmonella is an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with salmonella often experience fever, diarrhoea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain.
Robert’s American Gourmet can be contacted at 1-800-626-7557. For more information locally, please contact DEH staff at 949-6696.