George Town batters weak Roma in CIFA Fosters League

A peaked George Town FC battered weak Roma FC 5-1 in the feature game played at the North Side playing field last Saturday evening in the first game marking the restart of the 2007-2008 Cayman Islands Football Association (CIFA) Fosters National League after it went on break for the festive season.

Roma fielded a second eleven squad as five of the teams key players were absent probably resting for the show down this coming weekend in the semi finals of the CIFA Digicel Cup Knock-Out competition.

Roma could have gone ahead in the 5th minute when ace forward Kevin McField got a gift but missed it by kicking wide of the left upright after eluding the defenders and beating the goal keeper.

George Town breathed a sigh of relief and took it to their opponents and in the 12th minute one of Roma’s defender in a frantic bid to keep Garth Anderson at by created a foul bringing him down in the penalty area.

Anderson shuck off the hurt and placed that one firmly at the back of the net.

George Town was on top as this lifted their spirits and in the 20th minute Lee Ramoon scored their second goal.

Six minutes later George Town netted again this time it was from off the boots of Carson Fagan whose persistent effort earned his team a 3-0 lead.

The Roma players lost composure and gave up the middle to the hard running George Town icons who wasted no time in taking these three points in style.

Garth Anderson’s goal ended the first interval 4-0 in favor of George Town when he netted in the 34th minute.

In the second half Roma came out more purposeful and played a tighter game protecting their own half and making some good advances towards goal. This changed the game and in the 46th minute Kevin McField successfully placed a penalty awarded to Roma at the back of the net.

The game became a ding dong battle as Roma determined to keep the score line as is defended while going forward when possible.

In the 85th minute Lee Ramoon completed his double after breaking past defender Clifton Ricketts to end the game 5-1.

The game played earlier at this same playing field between Tigers and Academy drew 1-1 in what could be described as lack luster performance as both teams played without any real purpose.

The first half ended 0-0.

In the second half the temper of the game improved but was still not what was expected and both teams could have gone ahead as it was a level playing field.

However, in the 82nd minute Lauren Bennett of Tigers scored to place his team in a winning position. This was short lived as five minutes later Gregory Allen equalized for Academy to end the game 1-1 at regulation time.

Contact the CIFA office at 949-5775 or [email protected] for further details regarding the tournament.