Wild weekend in Cayman

Car crashes, bar brawl

Another attack at a local restaurant-bar, a restaurant burglary and two high-profile car crashes kept Royal Cayman Islands Police and island ambulance crews busy over the weekend.

RCIPS officers have arrested a 27-year-old man on suspicion of attempted murder in connection with a stabbing at the Mango Tree restaurant on Crewe Road.

Investigators said a fight broke out at the business just before midnight Friday. Medics who responded said one victim had his throat cut while another suffered a puncture wound to his stomach. The man who was arrested also suffered minor injuries.

It’s believed the man whose throat was slashed was not transported to hospital by ambulance but was taken in a private vehicle. By Monday, George Town Hospital officials said both victims had been treated and released.

A total of 15 RCIPS officers responded to the emergency call at Mango Tree Friday night.

‘We are taking this incident extremely seriously,’ said RCIPS Superintendent Marlon Bodden. ‘Swift action will be taken against those involved.’

It was just three weekends ago, on 23 February, that a spate of violence erupted at three different nightclubs on Grand Cayman, killing one man and sending three others to hospital.

Arrests have been made in connection with the stabbing death and the shooting, which occurred that weekend. However, no suspects have been taken into custody in an attack outside ShirReynold’s bar that left two men hospitalised that night.

Police were also investigating another incident this weekend in the parking lot of the Next Level nightclub Saturday morning. A 19-year-old woman was found in the lot around 2am with her hand slashed.

No other details were immediately available.

RCIPS officers were also called to investigate an apparent break-in at Bed restaurant on West Bed Road.

Restaurant staff arrived at 9.30am Sunday to find the front door had been left open and that the business’s safe had been cleaned out. Investigators believe the burglary likely occurred sometime in the early morning hours Sunday. No arrests had been made.

Car crashes

Police were still investigating an accident from Friday night that sent five people to hospital in various stages of hurt. At press time, it appeared all five were going to survive.

Officers said a Honda Civic headed south bound attempting to overtake another car on the Esterley Tibbetts Highway pulled into the north bound lanes and hit a Nissan head-on.

Two of the four young women in the Civic were flown to Miami for further medical treatment. The man driving the Nissan was not seriously injured.

The woman driving the Civic has been arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol.

Another crash where DUI was suspected occurred Sunday afternoon in North Side.

Police said a 30-year-old woman driving a Honda Integra along Water Cay Road near Rum Point collided with a tree.

She was hospitalised with non-life threatening injuries and has since been arrested on suspicion of driving under the influence.

Anyone with information about the crime scenes is asked to call the George Town Criminal Investigations Department at 949-4222 or Crime Stoppers at 800-8477. Information about the car accidents can be phoned into the RCIPS traffic department at 946-6254.

Compass reporter James Dimond contributed to this story.

Comments are closed.