Martin’s case adjourned, again

Defence Attorney Ben Tonner asked for an adjournment again for his client Lyndon Martin.

‘We have yet to receive a reply to our legal aid application,’ he told Chief Magistrate Margaret Ramsay-Hale on Thursday.

Mr. Tonner said there was no possibility of undertaking the volume of work involved without some indication of payment.

Martin, a former MLA, faces charges that include burglary and doing an act to pervert the course of public justice. Details of the burglary charge allege that Martin entered as a trespasser the private office of Desmond Seales at Cayman Net News with intent to steal therein.

The public justice charge pertains to false allegations of crimes Martin is accused of making against Deputy Police Commissioner Anthony Ennis.

All charges relate to a period in August-September 2007. Martin began working at Cayman Net News in March 2007.

He has already elected trial in Grand Court. Thursday was to have been the day for preliminary inquiry into the charges. If the magistrate found sufficient evidence to put Martin on trial, the magistrate would have committed the matter to the higher court.

The intention had been for the PI to be held before the next session of Grand Court opens on 2 July.

On Thursday, Mr. Tonner suggested another mention on 19 June so that the question of legal aid could be revisited. Hopefully a PI could be held in the latter part of July, he said.

0
0

NO COMMENTS