Seven hour standoff ends without incident

A teenager who barricaded himself in his family’s house armed with two machetes after making threats to harm family members has been brought into custody safely following negotiations by the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service.

Police were alerted to the incident in West Bay at around 8.50pm Tuesday when a woman reported that her son had been causing problems at her house and requested police assistance. Officers responded to the scene and the man barricaded himself in his room, refusing to come out.

Police said two other people inside the house were removed safely.

Officers entered into negotiations with the man, whose mood and behaviour fluctuated between calm and erratic frequently. On a number of occasions police said he made serious threats against his family and the police.

The house was cordoned off and two officers trained in negotiation tactics attended the location. Conversations with the man continued into the night and he was persuaded to give up one of the two machetes in his possession.

Following a number of hours of negotiations and based on the increasing risks the police incident command decided to deploy a tactical entry into the house using trained specialist officers and the man was taken into custody without incident around 4am.

The 18-year-old man was taken into custody under the provisions of the Mental Health Act and was also arrested on suspicion of disorderly conduct, threatening violence and failing to attend court.

‘This was a situation which had the potential to end tragically or in serious injuries to the occupants, the subject or the officers,’ said Deputy Police Commissioner Anthony Ennis. ‘I am extremely proud of the professionalism and skills displayed by the officers who brought about a successful end to this volatile incident.’

0
0

NO COMMENTS