Two Royal Cayman Islands Police officers have been charged with wounding following a June fight at a George Town Esso gas station.
Officers Rabe Welcome and Adrian Clarke both appeared in court Tuesday.
Mr. Welcome also faces an additional charge of common assault.
Both men have been suspended from the police service pending the outcome of their cases.
Crown counsel Nicola Moore asked in Summary Court Tuesday that the case be sent to Grand Court for trial.
However, attorney Waide DaCosta, representing Mr. Welcome, said he needed more time to examine witness statements and a video that was taken at the store the early morning of the incident.
‘We’re not going to be bullied into this,’ Mr. DaCosta told Chief Magistrate Margaret Ramsay-Hale.
Magistrate Ramsay-Hale agreed to set the matter for mention again on 29 September.
An investigation led by RCIPS Inspector Charles Best commenced following the 17 June incident which saw one man arrested in the early hours on suspicion of threatening violence and possession of an offensive weapon.
Police said the man, who had reportedly been armed with the machete, sustained a number of injuries during the incident, including a laceration to his face and a broken arm, for which he received medical treatment. The man has since been released without charge.
A third off-duty officer who was involved in the incident has been eliminated from the enquiry and has returned to work.
The 911 Emergency Communications Centre received a call at approximately 1am on 17 June from a member of the public reporting that an altercation was taking place at the Red Bay Esso on Shamrock Road and that one man was armed with a machete.
Uniformed officers from George Town responded to the location and found that the man had been placed under arrest by an off-duty officer.