Home invasion ‘burglaries’ plaguing Cayman

A recent spate of what police have called burglaries or aggravated burglaries on Grand Cayman have involved criminal suspects invading residents’ homes and in some cases attacking them.

The latest incident happened Monday in the Britannia condo complex around mid-day.

The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service only confirmed that a burglary took place Monday afternoon in the Snug Harbour area of George Town. The Snug Harbour neighbourhood is actually about a mile from where the crime was reported.

Police said the 911 Emergency Communications Centre received a call around 12.45pm that a burglary had occurred. Officers responded to the scene and it was discovered that the suspects gained entry into a residence by breaking a window.

An undisclosed amount of cash was taken. The incident is currently being investigated by officers of the RCIPS Criminal Investigation Department.

Police declined to discuss reports that there were people inside the condo at the time of the break-in and that those individuals were forced to hide from the burglary suspects in a bathroom. They also declined to state how many suspects were involved.

Monday’s break-in is just one of several similar incidents that have occurred around in Cayman in recent weeks.

On Friday, a man forced his way into a home on South Church Street at the Palm Springs complex around 1.45am as a couple were walking into their apartment.

Officers said two men initially approached the couple, but only one tried to force his way in.

After a brief struggle, both men ran from the scene.

Nothing was taken from the home and no one was hurt.

Another burglary on 21 October involved a woman who came home to find a burglar inside her place on Outpost Street in George Town.

The victim said the man was in her bedroom, and upon seeing him, she ran out to her car and called 911. That suspect, a 33-year-old man, was arrested.

On 14 October, police said a man dressed in black entered a home on Fountain Court, Walkers Road.

A young woman, who was home alone at the time, engaged in a struggle with the suspect who eventually ran away.

Nothing was taken and the victim was not physically hurt.