Bomb hoax at First Caribbean’s Grand Cayman branches
Royal Cayman Islands Police said Tuesday that they had identified the person responsible for a bogus bomb threat that cleared out three First Caribbean bank branches on Grand Cayman Monday.
Police said they were trying to determine the individual’s mental condition and whether or not it would be appropriate to bring charges in the case.
Staff were evacuated from the banks
in Plaza Venezia on North Sound Road, Regatta Office Park on West Bay Road and
Main Street in George Town Monday morning.
Police and bank officials said that
the call to the bank, stating a bomb had been planted at one of its three
branches, was a hoax.
Staff and customers of the banks
filed out onto the street after the call was received shortly before 9.30am.
Police were alerted by a 911 call from
Police officers, with sniffer dogs,
searched the banks for any signs of explosives but found none.
Staff were allowed back into the
banks around 10.45am.
Fire trucks also attended the scene
at Plaza Venezia.
Royal Cayman Island Police Service would not give further details of the
threat, saying it was police policy not to do so.
Tom Crawford, First Caribbean’s
managing director, said, “We treat the safety of our staff and customers very
seriously and I am pleased with the expedient way in which our emergency plan
He thanked staff and customer for
their cooperation in the evacuation of the banks and the emergency services for
their quick response.
“We experienced minimal disruption
to business operations as a result of the incident and normal operating conditions
have now been fully resumed at all of the bank’s branches,” he said.