Tex wrapped it up for GT again

It was FA Cup final day on Sunday
and football fans enjoyed a feast of action at the Truman Bodden Sports

Three matches over a six hour
period with a total of 12 goals.

The first match was between the
Under-13 sides Cayman Athletic and Bodden Town. Both teams have superb players
produced from an excellent youth programme.

Athletic drew first blood when
Brandon O’Connor struck home after only three minutes. Leandro Powell equalised
for Bodden Town and it was deadlocked after regular time.

In extra-time Cayman Athletic could
not find the net despite numerous attempts and they paid for that when Dimitri
Hunter struck home to seal it for Bodden Town. Hunter also got the man of the
match award.

Women United have won every
competition they’ve entered in their three seasons so it was not difficult to
guess the favourites when they took on Sunset in the women’s final.

United captain Shenel Gall gave her
side the perfect start with a goal in the first couple of minutes.

Sunset’s Krishan Welcome
inexplicably handled when she thought the referee had blown for an infringement
and Gall smashed in the penalty.

It seemed as if Sunset would be
overwhelmed after such as poor start but they showed a lot of fighting spirit
with goals from Caron Lumbra and Justina Range.

Gall notched her hat-trick before
half-time and soon after Women United were reduced to 10 when Shanice Monteith
was red carded for a seemingly innocuous challenge.

After the break Women United sealed
the match despite being one player down with a fourth for Gall and a superb
fifth from Alyssa Chin.

No prizes for guessing who got the
man of the man award.

George Town had already won the
Digicel Cup this season and hoped to make it a double with the FA Cup against

Deadly striker Tex Whitelocke gave
George Town a perfect start when he beat the offside trap and smashed the ball

Unfortunately, the match as a
spectacle ended there.

George Town were content to sit on
their slender lead for the remaining 85 minutes and rely on rare counter

Tigers roared often but could never
find their finishing touch. They sorely missed prolific scorer Carlos Powery
who was sent off in the semis and subsequently given a 10-year ban for spitting
at a ref. 

Tigers were the most improved team
of the season. They would have got to the final of the Digicel Cup and finished
higher than fourth but for an unfortunate incident when three players’ paperwork
was not properly registered and they were docked six league points and stopped
from playing in the final.

George Town gratefully stepped in
and beat Bodden Town 2-1 in the Digicel Cup final. Whitelocke got both goals.

Sports Minister Mark Scotland handed
over prizes along with George Town MLA Ellio Solomon and Jeffrey Webb, president
of the Cayman Islands Football Association.