May 2009 attack charged as attempted murder

Carlney Rashad Campbell was remanded in custody on 5 January after being charged with attacking a man outside the Treasure Island Resort on 26 May, 2009.

The appearance in Summary Court was the first for Campbell on the attempted murder charge. Defence Attorney Lloyd Samson applied for continued bail, noting the length of time since investigations started.

Crown Counsel Elisabeth Lees said the allegation was extremely serious. She said the victim was waiting for a ride outside the resort when somebody dressed as a police officer told him to stand against the wall. The person dressed as a police officer used a rope to tie the man’s arms and then produced a knife. The man realised his attacker was not a police officer, and when he started struggling; the person said, “I’ve only been asked to do this for money.”

The victim received a cut to his hand and several stab wounds. “He lost huge amounts of blood,” Ms Lees said. He was able to give police the registration number of the car that left the scene after the attack. The number he gave had one incorrect digit, so it took time to trace the vehicle. Appeals were made to the public for assistance and CCTV monitors on the premises 
were checked. The car number led to an address and the vehicle was said to belong to a friend of Campbell’s.

The premises were searched and a pair of blue coveralls, similar to those worn by officers of the Uniform Support Group, were found, Ms Lees said.

Campbell’s DNA was taken for examination and several more tests were done, she said.

DNA from a bite mark on the victim’s arm did not exclude Campbell — one person in every 100,000 would have that profile, Ms Lees explained. She agreed that the DNA ratio was “not as high as we’re accustomed to,” but added that it was “not negligible”.

Mr. Samson said Campbell was a proper candidate for bail. “Clearly we would want our own expert to be looking at the DNA results,” he said.

Chief Magistrate Margaret Ramsay-Hale said attempted murder is a charge for which no one should be on bail except in the most unusual circumstances. She agreed that Campbell’s having been on bail for so long was a compelling argument. However, what gave her pause was the wearing of coveralls to give the impression of being a police officer. She said the DNA evidence was quite cogent, as was the circumstantial evidence.

The magistrate said Campbell would remain in custody and that Mr. Samson was free to apply to the Grand Court for bail. The attorney suggested trying to hold a preliminary inquiry before the opening of the next Grand Court session, so Campbell’s return to court was set for Tuesday, 11 January.

The charge sheet lists an address in East End for Campbell.