Theft of $100,000 charged in robbery at Money Express

One defendant worked at Reggae Money Express

A man who had been working at
Reggae Money Express and another man appeared in Summary Court on Friday on
three charges relating to a robbery at the business on Saturday, 15 January.

Sanjay Andre Burrell, 21, and
Joseph Lloyd Suberan, 19, are charged with theft of more than $100,000 in both
US and CI currency, conspiracy to commit theft, and possession of an imitation
firearm with intent to commit the offence of theft.

Crown Counsel Elisabeth Lees said
Burrell, who was employed at Money Express, reported the robbery to police.

The business is located in
Elizabethan Square on Shedden Road.

Police on duty saw someone leaving
the vicinity with a white shirt on his head. That person dropped a phone as he
ran from them and the officers recovered it.

Meanwhile, Burrell was reporting
the robbery. Police were told that the shop had been entered by someone
with a gun.

Telephone messages between the
dropped phone and Burrell’s Blackberry linked the two defendants, Ms Lees
indicated. The messages allegedly detailed when the shop should be entered and
where the money was likely to
be located.

Ms Lees told Magistrate Nova Hall
that a large portion of the stolen money had been recovered. The court was also
advised that the gun used was thought to be a BB-gun and is being checked.

The magistrate asked the Crown’s
position on bail. Ms Lees said both men have Caymanian status and neither has
any previous conviction, so she would not object to bail if there were
stringent conditions attached.

The magistrate required each man to
surrender his travel documents, provide a surety in the sum of $20,000, observe
a curfew from 8pm to 6am, live at a specified address and report to the George
Town Police Station three times per week.

On behalf of Burrell, Attorney John
Furniss said there would be no problem. “Obviously his job is gone at Money
Express,” the attorney said. However, Burrell would be able to get work with a
relative.

Attorney David Holland said Suberan
was unemployed, but would be bailed by his parents with whom he resides.

Both defendants gave addresses in
the George Town district.

Ms Lees noted that policed had
worked diligently since the robbery report to get the matter to court.

The magistrate set a preliminary
inquiry for 8 March.

 

 

0
0

NO COMMENTS