Smoke comes from CUC temporary generator

Something went awry Friday afternoon with one of the 1.5
megawatt generators that the Caribbean Utilities Company brought in for the
summer months, according to CUC spokesperson Pay Bynoe-Clarke.

Smoke was found pouring out of a temporary electricity power
unit after 1pm, she said.

“It was one of temporary generation units,” said Mrs. Bynoe-Clarke.

The smoke travelled several blocks West from the CUC plant at
the corner of Sparkys Drive and North Sound Road.

According to a statement released later in the afternoon by the power company:

- Advertisement -

“Just after 1:00
pm today, the Cayman Islands Fire Department responded to an alarm arising from
smoke emanating from a small oil leak in a temporary leased mobile generating
unit located adjacent to Sparky Drive. However, the smoke died down before the
responders arrived on the site.

minor incident has not affected the company’s generation capacity and the unit
should be back in service in a few days following

was no injury to any of our personnel or damage to any other equipment. There
were no outages as a result of the excessive smoke.”  

- Advertisement -

Support local journalism. Subscribe to the all-access pass for the Cayman Compass.

Subscribe now