Hotel restaurant evacuated over noxious fumes

The Solana restaurant at the Marriott hotel was evacuated Thursday night, 29 March, following a chemical reaction that released noxious odours in the kitchen.

The Fire Services Department and the Department of Environmental Health attended the scene and later declared it safe.

Marriott spokesperson Laura Skec said the “isolated incident happened as a result of a reaction to a chemical used in a floor drain causing a strong odour”.

The restaurant’s kitchen was evacuated, as was the dining area because the kitchen was no longer operating.

“The hotel handles these types of situations very seriously when it concerns the safety of our guests and associates, as it is our main priority,” said Ms Skec.

Ms Skec said 11 members of kitchen staff were taken to hospital as a precaution to ensure they had suffered no ill effects in the incident. They spent about two hours at the hospital and were then sent home.

The incident happened about 7.30pm.

The restaurant remained closed for the rest of the night, but resumed business as usual next day.

Comments are closed.