Obstruction admitted in gun incident

Osbourne Douglas sentenced for obstruction, Roger Moore charged with firearm

Roger Antonio Moore and Osbourne Wilfred Douglas appeared in Summary Court on Wednesday on charges arising from an incident in which police recovered a firearm after stopping a vehicle in George Town last week. 

Moore, 27, was charged with possession of an unlicensed firearm. Details of the charge did not include a description, but an earlier police news release referred to it as a semi-automatic handgun. Moore, represented by attorney John Furniss, was remanded in custody for another mention on Tuesday, 15 May. 

Douglas, 25, was charged with wilfully obstructing a police officer acting in the execution of his duty. He told Chief Magistrate Nova Hall that he was “willing to get it over with today”. She asked him twice if he did not wish to wait for an attorney or receive legal advice, but he said no. 

When the charge was put to him, he pleaded guilty with explanation. 

Crown Counsel Marilyn Brandt provided a summary of the facts as they related to Douglas and advised the court that she would not be going into much detail as it related to Moore. 

She said police officers were on mobile patrol last Friday night when they had reason to stop a vehicle driven by Douglas on Seymour Drive. The officers asked the occupants to exit the vehicle. 

As they did so, a firearm allegedly fell from the right leg of Moore and he tried to cover it with his foot. 

The officers observed this and tried to retrieve the firearm. Douglas also attempted to retrieve it and a struggle ensued. 

The officers were successful in taking control of the gun. 

Asked for his explanation, Douglas said he was intoxicated that night and did not recall anything like that happening. “But if the officers say I did it, I did it. And I ask you to be lenient on me,” he told the court. 

The magistrate noted that he had been charged under the Police Law, and the 2010 revision had significantly modified the sentencing powers of the court regarding this charge. 

She told Douglas the circumstances of his offence were serious. “Think what could have happened if that gun had gone off,” she said. 

To his credit, he had pleaded guilty on the first possible occasion, but an aggravating factor was the fact that he had previous convictions, the magistrate explained. 

Because of the circumstances in which the obstruction occurred, the magistrate said she could not dispose of the matter by way of a financial penalty. Instead, she imposed a term of 60 days imprisonment. 


  1. Didnt remember is the worst defence I have ever heard.

    Getting 60 days for obstructing a Police Officer in the line of duty deserves a hell lot mare than that. He should thank his lucky stars. Maybe the devil made him do it.

  2. What a joke! 60days?! How many times will this same person get off of more and more gun charges with a slap on the wrist?! Not to mention an overturned murder conviction! Come on judicial system – can’t you tell the wrist slapping is NOT working?! Geez.

  3. How can the members of the community look at this case and make sense of it? A member of society struggling with police over a hand gun? What if he would have been successful and gained control of the weapon? What would he have done then? Were I one of the officers and felt like I had risked my life that night this would make me wonder.

Comments are closed.