Weststar robbery verdict due Wednesday

Cayman National Bank robbery sentencing rescheduled for Friday 

Justice Alastair Malcolm has set 2 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 23, for delivery of his verdicts in the trial of four men charged for the robbery at Weststar Television Centre on May 24, 2012. 

Evidence included CCTV footage of three figures entering the premises while a red vehicle waits outside the door just before 3 p.m. on that Thursday. Local television audiences have also seen the clip, or a portion of it. 

The Crown’s case, presented by Deputy Director of Public Prosecutions Trevor Ward, is that the three figures were David Tamasa, Andre Burton and George Mignott. The driver is said to be a man who has been charged separately.  

The fourth defendant is Ryan Edwards, who the Crown says provided the vehicle that took the robbers to and from the scene. 

Defense attorneys began closing speeches on Thursday and concluded late Friday. 

Mr. Ward acknowledged that the credibility of the Crown’s main witness, Marlon Dillon, was central to the case. It was Dillon who named the four defendants, saying he had been pressured to serve as a second getaway driver after the robbers switched from a red RVR to his burgundy Chevy Equinox. 

Dillon previously pleaded guilty to being part of the robbery at Cayman National Bank on West Bay Road on the morning of June 28, 2012. While in custody for that matter, he gave police information about the earlier Weststar robbery. 

Dillon was a Crown witness in the CNB robbery trial, which took place in May this year.  

The four men in the Weststar trial were also defendants in the CNB trial, along with Rennie Cole. A 12-member jury found them all guilty. 

Justice Alexander Henderson, the presiding judge, agreed with defense attorneys at the time to adjourn sentencing until after the Weststar trial concluded.  

Related Stories 

WestStar TV offices robbed | 24 May, 2012

Four Robberies in week | 05 June, 2012

0
0

NO COMMENTS