Man dead in ‘senseless violence’


A fight at a bar late Friday or early Saturday night apparently led to the Cayman Islands’ fourth killing of the year.  

However, the victim, 35-year-old Patrick Leonard Williamson, wasn’t found until Monday morning. Mr. Williamson’s body was located in a pond behind the home where he and his family stayed on Courts Road in George Town.  

His fiancée, Monikah Adeniken, reported Mr. Williamson missing on Sunday afternoon when she discovered that he had left her vehicle – which he took to the bar Friday night – parked in the lot behind their Courts Road home. Ms Adeniken became worried when she saw Mr. Williamson’s shoes, shirt, jacket and phone in the bushes near the car.  

“This kind of senseless violence doesn’t happen in our life,” Ms Adeniken said. “I can’t go back to my house.” 

- Advertisement -

Mr. Williamson had a daughter from a previous relationship. The two had planned to marry in Cayman.  

“He’s the best thing that ever happened to me,” she said. “I would like you to make people know what an amazing person he was. He had an amazing amount of love for everyone.”  

Ms Adeniken said she understood Mr. Williamson had been at bar on West Bay Road Friday night and “got into a fight with some guys” who followed him home from the bar. She said Mr. Williamson parked her vehicle in the lot behind their home and was blocked in by the men who were following him. 

She said there were obvious signs of a struggle in the car and surmised that whoever followed Mr. Williamson had dragged him from the car.  

His body was found Monday morning just after dawn in a pond behind the Courts Road home. The pond is a short distance from where Ms Adeniken lives.  

Ms Adeniken said she didn’t bother to check for the vehicle on Saturday, assuming Mr. Williamson just hadn’t come home that night and still had the car with him. She got a ride to work from a friend on Saturday. It wasn’t until Sunday that she reported her fiancé missing.  

She believes he was already dead by then.  

“They were followed repeatedly from the bar to the gas station [referring to Mr. Williamson and a friend he was with], the whole way,” she said.  

Royal Cayman Islands Police did not report any arrests in the incident by press time Monday. 

- Advertisement -

Support local journalism. Subscribe to the all-access pass for the Cayman Compass.

Subscribe now