Police: ‘No significant injuries’ on body found in pond

Post-mortem reveals drowning as cause of death

 The cause of death of Patrick Leonard Williamson, whose body was found in a pond off Courts Road last month, was drowning, a post-mortem examination has revealed.  

“There were no significant injuries” to Mr. Williamson’s body, a police spokesman said Monday in response to questions about whether the 35-year-old had been shot or stabbed, as had been rumored last month.  

Royal Cayman Islands Police Service officers provided no further details regarding their investigation into Mr. Williamson’s death, but they still listed his death as suspicious. 

“We can confirm that Mr. Williamson had not sustained any injuries of significance, and the cause of death was determined to be by way of drowning,” according to a police spokesman.  

“The RCIPS will continue to investigate on behalf of the coroner how Mr. Williamson came by his death.” 

Mr. Williamson, a Jamaican national, was last seen at 3:30 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 26, driving a silver Toyota Corolla near Eastern Avenue and Courts Road.  

His body was found Monday, Oct. 28, in a pond on Spruce Lane, in the back of the Courts Road home he shared with his fiancée.  

Investigators believe Mr. Williamson was out with friends the previous Friday night, Oct. 25, and attended several bars.  

Police said Mr. Williamson’s death may have resulted from “an altercation” with another man at Nectar nightclub in the early hours of Oct. 26. Investigators said Mr. Williamson’s death appeared suspicious, but did not immediately state a cause of death.  

Mr. Williamson’s fiancée, Monikah Adeniken, told the Caymanian Compass last week that she believes he was killed after getting into a fight with some men at a local club. 

Ms Adeniken reported Mr. Williamson missing on Oct. 27 when she discovered that he had left her vehicle – which he took to the bar Friday night – parked in the lot behind their home. Ms Adeniken became worried when she saw Mr. Williamson’s shoes, shirt, jacket and phone in the bushes near the car.  

“This kind of senseless violence doesn’t happen in our life,” Ms Adeniken said. “I can’t go back to my house.  

“He’s the best thing that ever happened to me.”  

Ms Adeniken said there were obvious signs of a struggle in the car and surmised that whoever followed Mr. Williamson had dragged him from the car.