CML to face Wanderers in final

The finalists for the Sunday League CML Cup Final were decided last weekend with CML Claymores and Fidel Wanderers fighting through to next month’s final.

They qualified for the big game on May 11. At the TE McField Annex, in their second leg game CML Claymores were holding a 2-0 advantage from over opponents Luca Zaino.

Luca needed an early boost and got that through Marc Mata who kept up his fine scoring form to nod home.

There was confusion amongst the CML players who seemed to hesitate in anticipation of a referee’s whistle for a throw-in – but it never materialized – and with Luca playing on, Luca Polloni beat his stationary marker to swing the ball over to where Mata who finished superbly.

Claymores immediately responded when Baron Solomon equalized with a composed finish. It was a fine sweeping move by the Claymores which started from their own goalkeeper who threw the ball out to full-back Mike Treacy, who in turn fed Des Harris down the channel and his perfect cross was swept home by Solomon.

In the second half CML’s two strikers linked up beautifully to effectively put their side into the final when Luciano De Riso fed a delicate ball through to Steve Lovell who chipped the ball over the advancing Luca keeper for a 2-1 win on the day and a 4-1 overall aggregate win.

Cup holders Fidel Wanderers were facing the prospect of being knocked out of the tournament by Harry’s who took a 2-1 lead into their return leg at Ed Bush in West Bay.

Desperate Wanderers resorted to long-range shots to score. Harry’s were looking dangerous on the counter attack with long balls over the Wanderers’ defense.

The opening goal arrived, for Wanderers, who luckily levelled the aggregate scores mid-way through the half.

Midfielder Cohen Daley‘s soft shot was not particularly threatening but the Harry’s keeper made a fatal error by allowing the ball to squirm through his hands and legs into the net.

After the interval the Wanderers maintained the pressure and went ahead again on 52 minutes when the Harry’s goalkeeper spilled another Daley shot right to the feet of Wanderers’ star striker Kiegel ‘Stamma’ Atkinson who made it 2-0.

Atkinson then kept up his fantastic scoring record when he made it 3-0 six minutes later and put his side into the final. Team-mate Derron Campbell slipped the ball through, and despite appeals for off-side, Atkinson feigned the keeper before stroking the ball home and sending the Wanderers to the final 4-2 on aggregate.

Comments are closed.