Child accused of West Bay home break-in
A 12-year-old boy has been charged in connection with a burglary in West Bay last month.
The break-in occurred at a residence during the evening of May 17, according to the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service.
“A window screen was removed and entry was gained through the window,” a statement from the RCIPS indicated. “A cellphone was stolen.”
The boy was due to appear in juvenile court Thursday morning, but because of his age the newspaper is unable to report on those proceedings or identify the individual charged.
“It is unusual for a 12-year-old child to be charged with burglary,” the police statement read. “However, we cannot say for certain whether [a child of that age has been charged] before in the Cayman Islands.”
Burglaries overall have been a major problem in the Cayman Islands, according to the latest full-year crime reports.
The Royal Cayman Islands Police Service reported 731 burglary offenses in 2013, compared to 502 in 2012 – a 45 percent increase.
The rise in burglaries has been a going concern for police, RCIPS Commissioner David Baines said earlier this year.
“We can definitely see a drop in burglaries when specific suspects are arrested, but then when they are released on bail, the number of reports start to rise again,” Mr. Baines said.