The Health Services Authority, in collaboration with the Cayman AIDS Foundation and the Red Cross, is offering free HIV testing and counseling throughout this week.
Under an initiative themed “Take the Test, Take Control,” the testing will be available until Saturday, June 27, at hospitals and health centers and other locations in Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman.
Organizers said counseling would also be offered, along with the tests, by trained and experienced personnel.
“HIV counseling and testing is an important entry point into comprehensive HIV prevention and treatment programs and services. Counseling and testing programs provide an opportunity for more persons to know their HIV status; for the at risk clients to receive risk reduction counseling and support to stay negative; and for HIV infected client to be referred early into treatment and care programs and further counseled and supported. Knowing one’s HIV status gives one the power to control their health and their future,” the organizers said in a press statement.
Special arrangements have been implemented this week to facilitate speed and confidentiality for HIV testing activities, organizers said. No appointment is necessary during this week, and the waiting time for testing is usually no more than 10 minutes.
Anyone seeking testing or counseling should indicate to the registration clerks that they would like to register for free HIV screening.
The results will be available in three working days and will be given to the patient only, who must return to the clinic where the test was taken to retrieve the results.
The Public Health Department also reminded the public that free HIV screening is offered year round each Tuesday at the Cayman Islands Red Cross at 9 a.m.
- Bodden Town Health Centre, Monday to Friday June 22-26, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., 947-2299
- East End Health Centre, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, June 22, 23, 24 and 26, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., 947-7440
- George Town General Practice Clinic, Monday to Friday, June 22-26, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., 244-2507
- North Side Health Centre, Tuesday and Friday, June 23 and 26, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., 947-9525
- West Bay Health Centre, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, June 22, 23, 25 and 26, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., 949-3439
- Cayman AIDS Foundation (The Village Plaza), Monday and Tuesday, June 22 and 23, 2-6 p.m. (Mon), 2-5 p.m. (Tues), 946-3029
- Cayman Islands Red Cross (Huldah Avenue), Tuesday and Thursday, June 23 and 25, 5-7 p.m., 916-1742
- Cost-U-Less, Saturday, June 27, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., 244-2507
- Faith Hospital, Cayman Brac, Monday to Friday, June 22-26, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., 948-2243
- Little Cayman Clinic, Tuesday, June 23, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., 948-0072