Fire guts Bodden Town home, cause of blaze unknown

A family home in Bodden Town was destroyed by fire Saturday night.  

No one was injured, but the fire has left a family of three and an 86-year-old man without a home. The woman and her children were not home at the time. 

As firefighters battled the blazing fire on Monument Road by the junction of Mijall Road, the devastated mother, who had returned to the house, could only watch and weep helplessly as her single-story, three-bedroom home went up in smoke. Investigators had not determined the cause of the fire by press time. 

The scene was released by firefighters at 10:30 a.m. Sunday, said Tina Choy of the Fire Service Department. 

Firefighters say the fire started in the bedroom area. Jamie Williams, 86, who was asleep in a back rental bedroom, said he smelled smoke and ran from the building, shouting for someone to call 911 as flames engulfed the building. He watched firefighters battle the blaze with homeowner Lisa Anglin. 

“At first I smelled something sweet and then I smelled smoke but thought maybe someone was smoking a cigarette. Suddenly the television blinked out and the lights went out leaving me in darkness,” Mr. Williams said.  

He left the bedroom to see what was happening and as he stepped outside he saw flames engulfing the house. Not having any credit on his phone, Mr. Williams said he shouted for someone to call the fire service. A woman from across the street called 911, he said.  

Ms. Choy said 911 alerted the Fire Service of a structure fire on Monument Road at 10:22 p.m. Firefighters responded from Frank Sound sub-station and George Town Fire Station, arriving at the scene at 10:52 p.m. She said firefighters immediately made an aggressive attack of the fire that had fully engulfed the house. 

Ms. Choy and Fire Safety Inspector James Bodden were on the scene to begin the preliminary investigation. Once details were taken from the homeowner and the other occupant, additional observations were made by the fire investigators. The scene was not secured by the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service until Sunday morning when fire investigators arrived to process the scene with Crime Scene Investigator Orlando Williams, Ms. Choy said. 

Firefighters on the scene said they had the fire under control within 10 minutes and it was completely extinguished within 25 minutes, but it was too late to save the family home.  


Members of the Fire Services Department assess the scene of the house fire Sunday morning. – PHOTOS: JEWEL LEVY

Comments are closed.