Bail denied for destruction of evidence

After attorneys for Alexander Adrian Ebanks made two applications for his bail and both were refused, Magistrate Valdis Foldats said on Monday that his decision could be taken to the Grand Court.

Ebanks, 24, has been in custody for eight weeks, attorney Lee Halliday-Davis said. She said there was no foundation for any concern that Ebanks would not return to court on any date directed. Apart from a matter in drug court, he was a man of good character, she said, adding that his parents were willing to put up the equity in their house, up to $50,000, as a surety.

The defendant faces some old charges and eight recent ones following a police search of a George Town apartment on Oct. 22. The new charges relate to possession of controlled drugs: tryptamine, 6.49 grams; cocaine, 1.951 grams; and ganja, no quantity specified. He is further charged with possession of drug-related utensils, namely scales and a bong.

The destruction of evidence charge relates to an incident at the George Town Police Station on Oct. 24. Ebanks is accused of wilfully destroying three audio interview compact discs with intent, rendering them incapable of being used in evidence.

Ms. Halliday-Davis said the property searched by police was where Ebanks resided with his girlfriend, whose whereabouts was now not known. “I believe she is the subject of a missing persons inquiry,” the attorney commented.

A police spokesperson confirmed on Wednesday that Jaesha Hendrix was the only person currently “missing” and whose welfare police had concerns about: “We continue to look for her and the case is open.” Ms. Hendrix was reportedly last seen on Oct. 23.

Ms. Halliday-Davis said she was not present at Ebanks’s interview on Oct. 24, but it became clear that he was not well at the time. He was taken to hospital, where doctors confirmed that he was suffering from severe dehydration. They wanted to keep him in hospital and put him on a drip to relieve the dehydration, she related. Ebanks decided to rehydrate himself with water because he was concerned that he would not be as alert if he stayed in hospital.

She suggested that Ebanks would reside with his parents, have a curfew and wear an electronic monitor. His passport has already been seized, she added.

The magistrate indicated that he had been willing to hear the application on the basis that there was new material to put before him. As it turned out, he said, attorney James Stenning had previously made the medical situation plain to him and he had already taken it into account when refusing bail the first time.

The important point for him had been the alleged destroying of evidence, the magistrate explained.

He set the matter for mention again on Jan. 19. “We have to move the case along,” he said.