The wreck of a makeshift Cuban watercraft that was beached in South Sound on May 6 remained there Wednesday, after officials had pledged to remove it.
Department of Environment personnel last week removed dozens of fuel containers from the wooden craft due to concerns that they could leak into the ocean waters and cause an environmental hazard.
However, residents in the area noted the engine aboard the craft as well as two seemingly empty, cylindrical oil drums were still in the boat and might wash out to sea if the craft was left.
Immigration Department officials said they were told the wreck itself would be removed by Tuesday, but that had not occurred by press time Wednesday.
Immigration officials said earlier in the week that the government Public Works Department had been tasked with removing the Cuban vessels when they are abandoned on local shore.
However, on Wednesday, Public Works Director Max Jones said he knew of no such tasking and noted the department was not involved in any way with the beached craft in South Sound.
Immigration officials did not return further requests for comment on Wednesday.