Gun Square is believed to be one of Bodden Town’s two historic defense points, the other being Guard House Hill at the western approach of Bodden Town.
It was a perfect battery as it overlooked one of the principal channels of the day when Bodden Town had a natural harbor. Two 18th century cannons still stand there.
For many years, one of the cannons lay buried in the sand, until around 1910 when four Bodden Town men, Henry Bodden, Procklington McCoy, Conwell Solomon and Thomas Tatum dug it out and placed it in its original position at the eastern end of the small square.
This information was supplied by the National Trust for the Cayman Islands.