Cayman’s curfew and shelter-in-place restrictions officially run out tomorrow, but officials say they will remain in effect until new regulations kick in.
“The current shelter-in-place provisions will continue to apply on Friday and Saturday, and Sunday being the hard curfew day, and that will not change. So, the new shelter-in-place provisions will take effect on Monday, 4 May,” Premier Alden McLaughlin said on Wednesday at the daily COVID-19 press briefing.
No new coronavirus test results were announced on Thursday, as the daily briefing, which was planned for 3pm, was postponed at the last minute.
The media was told Cabinet was meeting to finalise the new shelter-in-place regulations.
Meanwhile, the Government Information Services confirmed that Commissioner of Police Derek Byrne had extended beach closures until further notice.
McLaughlin said on Wednesday that, given Cayman’s recent encouraging COVID-19 results, some of the restrictions will be eased in the coming days.
He indicated that the first phase will involve the reopening of some money-transfer operations.
He said there will also be an expansion of the businesses that will be able to deliver goods and services, potentially including pool-maintenance companies.
Phase two will follow two weeks later, on 18 May. This may include the reopening of construction sites and other businesses. This phase will likely be accompanied by a mandatory order that masks must be worn in public, the premier said.
Whether that happens hinges on the continued decline of positive test results.
There have been 73 positive coronavirus cases reported so far – 72 on Grand Cayman and one on Cayman Brac. A total of 1,535 tests have been done to date.
There are currently around 200 people in government isolation facilities on Grand Cayman undergoing 14-day quarantines before being cleared to return to their homes.