Chief Medical Officer Dr. John Lee announced Monday that two infants who were hospitalised with COVID-19 last week have been discharged. This news comes as Lee confirmed that there were 14 new local COVID cases, which include 10 children.
In a video message, Lee said both of the infants were doing well and were now back home.
As well as the 14 community transmission cases, there were also nine positives among travellers exiting from quarantine among the 1,474 tests that had been carried out since Friday, he said.
Lee, noting that the majority of the local cases had been among students, urged families with children on mid-term break to avoid mixing with other households, to enable the cycle of infection to be broken.
The mid-term break had been brought forward by several days at government schools in a bid to stem the rate of community transmission and in response to a shortage of teachers in a number of schools due to quarantine requirements.
As of Monday, there had been 159 confirmed local COVID cases since the recent outbreaks began last month.
75% fully vaccinated
In his latest update, Lee stated that 75% of Cayman’s estimated population of 71,106 had received both vaccine doses, while 78% had been given at least one dose.
He said that, as 55,592 people had received a first dose, which represented 90% of the over-12 population. Anyone under 12 is not allowed to receive a COVID-19 vaccine.
Also, 356 people, or 1% of the population, has received a third, or booster, dose.
Public Health received 400 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine on the British Airways flight on 2 Oct., along with an additional 11,000 doses of the Pfizer vaccine.
The October schedule for booster shots can be found here.