Despite statements by a senior police inspector from the UK that top-ranking members of the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service were not under investigation, it appears the enquiry now being conducted here could have far-reaching implications both locally and abroad.
Governor Stuart Jack also seemed to indicate an investigation was under way following his decision last week to place Police Commissioner Stuart Kernohan, Deputy Commissioner Rudi Dixon and Chief Superintendent John Jones on required leave.
“No judgment has been made as to the guilt, innocence or other culpability of any person,” Mr. Jack said. “The decision to put these officers on required leave was made to protect the integrity of the enquiries to be made.”
“It sends a clear signal that, regardless of position, serious allegations will be addressed and that we are committed to pursuing the highest ethical standards in public office without fear or favour,” Governor Jack said.
“Illegal or unethical actions that tarnish the reputation or interfere with the media will not be allowed.”
The Caymanian Compass has learned that the initial investigation that brought officers from the UK Metropolitan police here last fall concerned allegations that confidential information about police operations and other law enforcement matters had been passed to the media.
Deputy Police Commissioner Anthony Ennis and Cayman Net News editor in chief Desmond Seales were questioned in that investigation. The allegations made against those men were later proved to be false.
Governor Jack said that initial probe has turned up other matters that required review. He said those matters do not relate to Mr. Ennis or Mr. Seales in any way.
However, Senior Investigating Officer Martin Bridger said Thursday there were not two separate investigations. He stated that the enquiry his team of officers had been working on since September was continuing.
Former Sister Islands MLA Lyndon Martin has been arrested in connection with that investigation. A government spokesperson said Mr. Martin was arrested to assist in the police enquiries. He has not been charged with any crime and is said to be co-operating with officers.
Mr. Seales said Friday that Mr. Martin was no longer employed at the Cayman Net News, where he had been working as the corporate affairs manager. He said the decision to end Mr. Martin’s employment was made after his arrest Thursday.
Mr. Martin could not be reached for comment. His attorney declined comment on the matter.
Mr. Seales said he had also cooperated with police in the investigation and stated in his newspaper that cooperation required him to put additional security measures in place for his business and personal activities. He declined to state whether any threats had been made against him.
Mr. Ennis, who is still in his position at RCIPS, declined to comment on the investigation Friday.
A press statement was released on behalf of Commissioner Kernohan Friday by a local magazine publisher. However, the Compass could not independently verify that statement had been authorised by Mr. Kernohan.