Dixon arrested twice and released twice

An unusual series of legal moves led to suspended Cayman Islands Deputy Police Commissioner Rudolph Dixon’s arrest, release from jail, his subsequent re-arrest and second release within the space of 48 hours last week.

In the end, Mr. Dixon was released Friday evening on police bail following his arrest on undefined allegations of criminality related to an ongoing probe within the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service.

Retired RCIPS Inspector Burmon Scott was also arrested last week in connection with the case. Neither he nor Mr. Dixon had been charged with any crimes as of press time.

Rumours swirled around the Cayman Islands over the weekend that other police officers and former police officers had been arrested by the UK Metropolitan Police team which has been here since September looking into allegations of corruption and misconduct within the RCIPS.

However, Senior Investigating Officer Martin Bridger denied that his team of nine UK officers had made any further arrests in the case.

Mr. Dixon and Mr. Scott were initially arrested Thursday morning, but a court order caused Mr. Dixon to be released from jail that evening. It is understood Mr. Scott remained in lock up at that time.

Mr. Dixon was put back in jail after his appearance at the court house Friday morning for a closed-door hearing concerning the application for a writ of Habeas Corpus filed on his behalf by his attorneys.

At that hearing, Chief Justice Anthony Smellie quashed his earlier order that allowed Mr. Dixon to be released on Thursday.

‘The original order was based on incomplete information,’ said Mr. Bridger. ‘The Chief Justice, having heard from the Crown on these matters (Friday) morning quashed the order.’

Mr. Bridger said late Friday that authorities had agreed to release Mr. Dixon on strict bail conditions.

The meeting in the Chief Justice’s chambers Friday was a continuation of the application asking him to issue the writ of Habeas Corpus. If the Chief Justice had issued the writ, the hearing of arguments for and against the detention of Mr. Dixon would have been held in open court.

It was unclear whether Mr. Scott had been released from jail at any time over the long weekend.

Officers from the UK Metropolitan Police force said accusations that led to the arrest of Mr. Scott and Mr. Dixon involved an entirely separate matter from the probe, which led to the removal of three top RCIPS police commanders in March.

Those three RCIPS commanders, including Commissioner Stuart Kernohan, Mr. Dixon, and Chief Superintendent John Jones, have been placed on notice that they are now under investigation for alleged misconduct in a public office.

None of the three men have been charged with any crimes.

The misconduct investigation relates to the police commanders’ various roles in the events that culminated in an unauthorised entry at the office of Cayman Net News publisher Desmond Seales on 3 September, 2007.

Former Net News employee Lyndon Martin was charged in April in connection with a burglary that police said occurred last year at Mr. Seales’ office. However, the Caymanian Compass has learned another former Net News employee was allegedly involved in the 3 September entry at Mr. Seales’ office.

That individual, who is not being named by the Caymanian Compass because the person has not been arrested and has not been charged with any crime, has maintained that no wrong-doing occurred in the 3 September incident.

0
0

NO COMMENTS