Divers and snorkelers massed on Public Beach on Thursday morning to join what is now almost exclusively a sea search for missing teaching assistant Nathan Clarke.
Police are concentrating the search at sea following the recovery of Mr. Clarke’s cell phone by a cruise ship tourist on Wednesday afternoon.
Speaking at a press conference on Thursday morning, Detective Superintendent Marlon Bodden said the cruise ship passenger had found the phone while snorkelling about 150 feet in front of Calico Jack’s on Seven Mile Beach around 12.30pm Wednesday.
Not realising the importance of his discovery, the tourist considered keeping it, but later handed it over to police around 4.30pm Wednesday after speaking to a person in a store who told him police were looking for a phone belonging to the missing man.
Police confirmed later that the phone was the black Samsung phone Mr. Clarke had been carrying on him when he was last seen on Saturday night, 25 February.
No other sign of Mr. Clarke has been found.
Police and volunteer divers continued to search the water off Seven Mile Beach Thursday afternoon.
For more on this story, read Thursday’s Caymanian Compass