Weather halts Nathan search

Police called off Sunday’s sea search for Nathan Clarke early and also cancelled Monday’s marine search due to bad weather. 

On Sunday, rough sea conditions meant the search with police and volunteer divers off Seven Mile Beach was called off in the afternoon. However, throughout the morning and afternoon, volunteers and police continued to make land searches. 

A weather system moved over Grand Cayman in the early hours of Monday morning, bringing heavy rains and high seas and making it impossible for the sea search to resume Monday. The bad weather also meant land searches were suspended. 

Police advised volunteers not to show up at the beach to join the search Monday, as they had been doing during the past week. 

Police said they would assess the weather for Tuesday before determining what searches would go on. 

Mr. Clarke, a 31-year-old Cayman Prep teaching assistant, was last seen about 8.30pm on Saturday, 25 February, at the water’s edge by Calico Jack’s bar on Public Beach. 

About 60 people attended a candlelight vigil on the beach Sunday night, 4 March, during which the family of Mr. Clarke, who arrived on island the day before, thanked the hundreds of volunteers and the police for their help with the search. Lisa Beck, Mr. Clarke’s fiancée, and her parents also thanked the search teams and said they appreciated the outpouring of support from the community. 

Candles were also lit around the world at the same time by some of the more than 2,700 members of the Find Nathan Facebook page. 

Police said that by Saturday night, more than 28,000 man hours from more than 500 volunteers and 39 police officers had been spent looking for the missing British man. 

Nathan Clarke search Calico Jacks

Paddleboarders get ready to tow a diver out to a search site over the weekend. – PHOTO: NORMA CONNOLLY
0
0

NO COMMENTS