Hotels bomb hoax defendant gets new court date

Bail limited to residential treatment center

A man charged in relation to a bomb hoax at two Seven Mile Beach resorts last month appeared in Grand Court on Monday.

James Bernie Williams faces a charge of communicating false information about a bomb at the Ritz-Carlton and the Caribbean Club. 

Williams is alleged to have “communicated information that was false with the intention of inducing another person to believe that a bomb or other item likely to explode or ignite was present” at the two hotels on Dec. 14, 2013. 

Justice Nova Hall asked if Williams would be entering a plea, but defense attorney John Furniss suggested another date for the formal arraignment. 

Furniss said the Jan. 6 court date had been fixed to make sure that Williams, 53, checked into the Withdrawal Management Unit as the magistrate had directed when Williams came before Summary Court on Dec. 20. At the time, Mr. Furniss had advised that Williams had a problem with alcohol abuse. 

On Monday, Mr. Furniss said Williams had completed the time required at the unit. He was assessed and found to be someone in need of intervention, and he was being accepted as an in-patient at Caribbean Haven, a residential treatment center for addictions, in Grand Cayman. 

Senior Crown Counsel Nicole Petit said she had come to court with the intention of having the arraignment that morning, “but we will not stand in the way of any rehabilitative treatment.” 

When Justice Hall asked if there were any hindrance to having Williams arraigned, Mr. Furniss asked to schedule it on Jan. 24. 

The judge then granted bail with strict conditions that require Williams to reside at Caribbean Haven and not leave voluntarily or via administrative action. This meant, that he is to abide by all the rules of the facility, she said. She also required a recognizance in the sum of $1,000 with a surety of the same amount. 

0
0

NO COMMENTS