Classes at the Cayman International School, located between Camana Bay and the George Town landfill, have been cancelled today [Thursday].
According to a notice issued by the school Thursday morning, school is being cancelled due to smoke from the landfill fire.
“Faculty and staff are not required to report today [Thursday],” the notice read.
Later in the day Thursday, Hope Academy in the Grand Harbour area notified parents to come pick up their children just after noon because of concerns about smoke from the blaze.
A school employee said 130 children had been picked up by mid-afternoon.
In addition, Caribbean Utilities Company was forced to close its administrative and customer service offices around 2 p.m. Thursday.
Smoke from the landfill fire had wafted into the power generation facility at the CUC power plant on Sparkys Drive, making conditions for workers unsustainable, officials said. Non-essential staff were sent home early, a spokesperson confirmed.