Keith Neale named king and Carmen Clarke queen of Little Cayman Agriculture Show
Little Cayman’s Agriculture Show was a small affair, but organizers said they are pleased with the outcome and community togetherness the day provided.
“We cannot express enough, the part that everyone took to make the Little Cayman Agriculture Show a great day,” said Debbi Truchan, chairwoman of the Little Cayman Agriculture Show.
“We are still excited and very happy about how the show went and the support we received from the community, Cayman Brac and Grand Cayman residents,” she added.
Keith Neale was crowned Agriculture King and Carmen Clarke Queen. Ms. Clarke was also named Champion Crop Farmer, and Dianne Fite took first place for her special Caribbean Cake. This year’s Tibbetts Family Foundation $1,000 top raffle prize went to vacationer David La Belle.
Mr. La Belle said, “I feel that this prize is like a reward for my extra busy year as a ski patrol as an Emergency Medical Technician at Veil Resorts in Colorado. This year alone, I dealt with five fatalities, 40 medical requests and over 1,000 requests just for knee fractures and injuries alone.”
The Tibbetts Family Foundation has sponsored the prize since the show’s inception. In honor of the family’s dedication and commitment to agriculture, the show’s organizers previously gave an honorary award to Linton Tibbetts, who passed away 2011.
Ms. Truchan said it was rewarding to see the longevity of the Little Cayman Agriculture Show as well as the participation of the Cayman Islands government, youngsters from the Little Cayman school and the Cayman Brac Cadet Corps.
“It was also rewarding to be there for the day and to experience that feeling of community, healthy competitions – see the handiwork of farmers and artisans still using local products for their creations and people just having fun,” she said.
The Little Cayman show winners were:
- Best Photography (underwater and terrestrial): Mike Vallee
- Champion Exhibitor – Arts and Crafts: Anne Neale
- 2nd Place Exhibitor – Arts and Crafts: Merilda Messias
- Best Display Booth: Department of Environmental Health
- Best Livestock: Dianne Fite
- Special Caribbean Cake: Dianne Fite
- Champion Crop Farmer: Carmen Clarke
- 2nd Place Crop Farmer: Sweby Rose
- Minister’s Special Award for Agricultural Spirit (Youth): Mathieu Pothier
- Minister’s Special Award for Agricultural Spirit (Adult): Veronica Khan