Fire at Central Plaza under investigation

A fire that broke out Thursday night at Central Plaza on Shedden Road, George Town is under investigation by officers from the George Town Police Station and the Criminal Investigation Department. 

Emergency services were called to the fire at 6:35 p.m. and arrived on the scene at 6:39 p.m., according to Fire Service officials. 

The fire just outside Sea Inn Bar was extinguished by the Fire Service. Police Superintendent Adrian Seales said no major damage were reported.  

The fire also affected two Water Authority meter boxes, Water Authority Corporate Communications Officer Hannah Reid said. 

After being contacted by 911, staff from the Water Authority’s Water Supply Department conducted emergency works to stem leaks and were conducting repairs to affected meters on Friday. 

The Water Authority received no additional details from the police as to the cause of the fire, Ms. Reid said.  

Fire Chief John Bodden said, “The initial call was [about] an electrical fire and when we got on scene, it appeared a box had caught on fire which caused the water mains to burn away.  

“The other particulars are under investigation. How and why the fire started was unknown to the Fire Service.” 

Sea-Inn-Fire

Firefighters respond to a fire Thursday night at Central Plaza on Shedden Road. – Photo: Jewel Levy
0
0

NO COMMENTS