Manslaughter charge after cyclist's death

Bail granted with strict conditions

Nicholas Patrick Tibbetts, 24, appeared in Summary Court late Friday afternoon charged with three offenses arising from the death of cyclist Donnie Ray Connor along the Linford Pierson Highway in the early hours of Thursday, April 23. 

Tibbetts, an immigration officer, is charged with manslaughter, causing death by careless driving and leaving the scene of an accident. 

The first two charges are triable in Grand Court only and Magistrate Valdis Foldats transmitted them to the higher court, bailing Tibbetts to appear there on Friday, May 8. 

Crown Counsel Scott Wainwright said the vehicle involved was a Honda Torneo. 

Mr. Connor, 59, worked along the George Town waterfront selling coconuts to tourists. He was found on the side of the road by another cyclist, who phoned 911. 

The day after the incident, officers appealed to the public to help locate a silver car, with a damaged front fender and smashed headlight, that may have been involved. 

Mr. Wainwright said police received anonymous information and, as a result, went to Tibbetts’s Bodden Town residence on April 26. He was subsequently arrested. 

Summarizing the evidence in the case, Mr. Wainwright said the Crown objected to bail. He added that two people have been arrested for being accessories after the fact. 

Defense attorney Lee Halliday-Davis accepted that the allegations were serious, but said bail conditions could be imposed that would alleviate concerns. She said Tibbetts had no previous convictions and his father would guarantee that he attends court. 

The magistrate said he was satisfied that the usual grounds for withholding bail did not exist in this case – fear that the defendant would abscond or commit further offenses. He granted bail, but with conditions that include a recognizance (a promise to attend court) with a surety in the sum of $25,000. 

He also ordered Tibbetts to surrender his passport, not contact Crown witnesses, live and sleep at his home, be fitted with an electronic monitor and report to the Bodden Town police Station three times per week between 5-6 p.m. 

The magistrate asked whether Tibbetts would be doing shift work, but after Ms. Halliday-Davis said Tibbetts would probably be suspended while this case is pending, he imposed a curfew from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. 

He also noted that the Traffic Law allows interim disqualification from driving and he imposed this condition as well.  

[The magistrate] granted bail, but with conditions that include a recognizance (a promise to attend court) with a surety in the sum of $25,000.