Witnesses recall seeing Anglin the night child was killed

Three women told the court this week that they saw defendant Devon Anglin on the night Jeremiah Barnes was fatally shot at the Hell Service Station in West Bay.

Defense attorney David Fisher questioned each witness about the timing of the interaction she had with Anglin. CCTV footage from the service station indicates that the 4-year-old boy was killed within a few seconds of 8 p.m. on Feb. 15, 2010.

Anglin is charged with murdering the boy, attempting to murder the child’s father, and possession of an unlicensed firearm. This trial is a retrial, following an appeal of Anglin’s acquittal in 2011.

A woman married to one of Anglin’s cousins said she got home some time around 8-8:30 p.m. Her husband was in the kitchen and Anglin was taking a shower. When he came out, he was wearing a shirt that belonged to her husband.

The witness said it was not unusual for Anglin to take a shower at her house or for the men to borrow each other’s shirts.

Asked if Anglin were drunk when she saw him, she answered yes. She said she did not say a word to him because she was arguing with her husband. Anglin did not speak to her, which she thought was strange because he normally talked to her. The men left the house together and she did not see them again that night. She later learned they had been “locked up.”

A cousin of Anglin’s, who was 13 at the time of the shooting, told the court she and a friend were out for their nightly walk along Bankers Road in West Bay when Anglin came by in a car with two other men in it. She thought he was driving. He told her to get home and be safe. She recalled it was dark at the time.

Referred to her written statement to police and her evidence in Anglin’s first trial, she agreed she had said they went for a walk around 7:30 p.m.

She did not recognize the car he was in. She had previously said that it was brownish in color. She agreed that in a police statement she had said the car belonged to someone she referred to as DJ.

Her friend and walking partner also gave evidence. She said the car was DJ’s. She did not get “muddled up” between his car and others because she had an interest in cars and knew this one by its tint and lights.

She said she was not mistaken about the night she saw the car and the men. She agreed she had said in her deposition that she and her friend took about 10 minutes to walk back to her aunt’s house and then they sat outside. After about five minutes, her aunt told them about a shooting.

The girl’s aunt gave evidence about the timing of events that night. She said that at 7 p.m., she and the two girls started watching a TV program, but the girls went out for their walk shortly after it started. She told them to be back by 8 p.m. and she fell asleep.

When she woke up and checked the time, it was after 8 p.m. The girls did not have a key to the house and when they knocked on the door, she looked at the time on her phone. “As far as I can remember, it was 10 past eight,” she told the court.

She said the girls asked if they could stay outside a little longer and she gave permission. When she learned about the shooting via a phone call, the girls were still outside.

Mr. Fisher noted that in a statement soon after the event, the aunt had said the girls came back around 8:10 p.m. The statement then said she asked the girls if they had heard anything about a shooting and they told her no. The aunt replied that she had given police the best times she could remember.

Mr. Fisher pointed out that she had not said in her first statement that she looked at her phone to get the time. “Maybe I wasn’t asked,” she replied. “I’m a frequent time checker,” she added.

Anglin’s trial is scheduled to resume Friday morning.