Local farmers, crafters and entertainers are busily preparing for the Brac Agriculture Show scheduled for this weekend at the Brac Agriculture Grounds on the bluff.
Offering a full array of displays and contests reflecting local agriculture and heritage, as well a generous dose of family friendly fun, the agriculture show on Saturday will be a notable one this year, with special recognition for the many Brac farmers and agriculture pioneers honored at the 2016 Heroes Day celebration.
Crowds are expected to arrive early for the show, which kicks off at 8 a.m. and runs until 5 p.m. A multitude of competition categories range from hot sauces to cakes and even Lego, and sales booths will feature cotton candy, a variety of food, fruit, plants and more.
Exciting demonstrations by the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service, the Fire Department and West End Primary School, among others, will join exhibits of preserves, antiques, plants, crafts and pets. The cattle, horses, goats, pigs, fowl, rabbits and exotic birds that are always a big draw are expected to delight kids and adults alike.
Scheduled entertainment from Hi Tide, the J.R. Douglas Band, Cake Walk and Koalition dance group will add a festive air to the event.
Highlights include a raffle grand prize of US$2,000, with tickets going for $10.
Entry for the show, now in its 13th year, is $8 for ages 11 and up, $4 for kids 4-10 and free for kids 3 and under.
From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. the Elections Office will also be holding a voter registration at the show. To register as a voter for the scheduled 2017 election, status holders need to bring an original birth certificate, original Caymanian Status certificate and photo I.D. – either a passport or driver’s license.
Caymanians with Caymanian parent(s) or grandparent(s) must bring a birth certificate, the birth certificate of their parents or grandparents born in the Cayman Islands and a photo I.D.
Little Cayman Ag Show
Little Cayman’s Ag Show is slated for March 19 at the Community Park in Blossom Village with a $5 entry fee. Competition categories include plants, produce, baking, jewelry, photography, and arts and crafts.
There will also be a raffle, live demonstrations, open mic, a coconut toss, a dog show and Little Cayman’s “A Way” play live in the afternoon.
For further information on the Little Cayman show, call 925-6442.
To accommodate Grand Cayman residents who want to attend the Brac Agriculture Show, Cayman Airways has added an extra flight on the day of the show.
Nine flights will leave for the Brac on Saturday, five of which will land in enough time for passengers to get to the show.
Flights to the Brac on Saturday
- KX 4420, departing Grand Cayman at 7:15 a.m. and arriving on the Brac at 8:10 a.m., with a stop in Little Cayman;
- flight KX 2401 departs at 7.30 a.m., arriving at 8:05 a.m., non stop;
- flight KX 4422, departs at 10:10 a.m., arrives at 10:55 a.m., with a stop in Little Cayman;
- KX 4005 departs at 10:10 a.m., arriving at 11:50 a.m., non-stop;
- flight KX 4523 departs at 12:20 p.m. and arrives at 1 p.m., non-stop;
- KX 4624 departs at 2.45 p.m., arriving in Cayman Brac at 3:40 p.m., with a stop in Little Cayman;
- KX 4007 leaves Grand Cayman at 3 p.m., arriving at 3:40 p.m.;
- KX 4425 departs at 5:10 p.m. and arrives at 6:05 p.m.;
- KX 2105 leaves at 6.30 p.m. and arrives on the Brac at 7:05 p.m.