If there was any question about the longevity of the “Star Wars” series, one merely has to turn one’s attention to the buzz on the internet, where outlets are reporting huge advance ticket sales for the latest installment: “Rogue One.”
You can either sit outside a cinema, hoping to be the first in the theater while fending off well-meaning passersby throwing coins at you, or you can buy a ticket for the Thursday night screening at the Regal Camana Bay, courtesy of the Rotary Club of Grand Cayman.
The last such event was a huge success, with many adults tapping the child within, sporting cloaks, cinnamon buns over the ears, and light sabers. No doubt this one will sell out pretty quickly, so “Star Wars” fans are urged to buy their tickets soon.
Entry is $40 and includes a glass of bubbles, popcorn, soft drinks and access to a cash bar, so only those 18 years and older will be admitted. The reception starts at 6:30 p.m. and the film begins at 7:15 p.m.
Unlike the other films that have spanned the decades, this particular story is not one of the original nine planned by George Lucas; perhaps, hence the name. It is a spin-off tale focusing on the Death Star. The synopsis is written thusly: “In a time of conflict, a group of unlikely heroes band together on a mission to steal the plans to the Death Star, the Empire’s ultimate weapon of destruction. This key event in the Star Wars time line brings together ordinary people who choose to do extraordinary things, and in doing so, become part of something greater than themselves.”
In case you’re getting confused as to where “Rogue One” fits in the overall time line, here is a summary of all the films, including those yet to be released:
- “Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace,” released May 19, 1999.
- “Star Wars: Episode II — Attack of the Clones,” released May 16, 2002.
- “Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith,” released May 19, 2005.
- “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,” scheduled for Dec. 16, 2016.
- “Star Wars: Episode IV — A New Hope,” released May 25, 1977.
- “Star Wars: Episode V — The Empire Strikes Back,” released May 21, 1980.
- “Star Wars: Episode VI — Return of the Jedi,” released May 25, 1983.
- “Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens,” released Dec. 18, 2015.
- “Star Wars: Episode VIII,” scheduled for Dec. 15, 2017.
- “Star Wars: Episode IX,” scheduled for 2019.
People are encouraged to dress up and those who do will gain access a little earlier to grab their preferred seats.
For tickets, contact Rob Martin at [email protected]