Undefeated Boca Juniors lifted the DHL Sunday Football League Trophy last weekend with a 2-1 victory over OtisAir Wanderers.

Boca coach Mike Belfoure said in a press release, “Having previously placed second on three separate occasions over the past six years, we were very happy to finally lift the League Trophy by going undefeated in league play by winning 14 games and drawing 7.

“I do greatly appreciate all the effort by the players as it took a concerted effort in order to win the league against the other sides whom provided stiff competition.”

The coach also thanked all of the league administrators, team captains and the Referee Association, “who once again provided the competitive professionalism that continues to make the DHL Sunday League so successful year after year.”

In the final game, OtisAir Wanderers took the lead through Morris “Tuffy” Robb’s looping header in the first-half, the press release states. Boca hit back to equalize through a Brandon Ebanks free kick from the edge of the box shortly after halftime, and then Ebanks claimed his second when his scooped shot evaded the outstretched hand of the Wanderers’ goalkeeper to give a final 2-1 score.

In the second match at Ed Bush field, Fidel’s Old Boys shocked Maples Revolution by taking a halftime lead after outscoring their opponents 3 to 2 thanks to a brace of goals from Olar Razvan and one from Primo Castellan. Maples replied through Craig Smith and Richard Crozier, but Old Boys held on to their advantage until the final 15 minutes of the match when they allowed Maples to first equalize through Smith before losing three more goals. Tim Evans and Jack Leeland found the back of the net, along with Smith, who collected his hat trick for a final score of 6-3.

Elsewhere, it was a rehearsal for the upcoming Cayman Physiotherapy Cup final later this month when Bounty Hunters and Harry’s clashed at the Annex. Bounty Hunters won 4-2.

In opening action, it was Harry’s who broke the deadlock after just two minutes, when striker Forde Pierson pounced to fire home. Hunters’ Matthew Moss-Solomon, who was returning to the side after a lengthy absence, got his team back into the game when he equalized on 18 minutes. “But Harry’s showed their character by getting their noses back in front before the halftime whistle through Jon Japal,” the press release states. The second-half belonged to Hunters’ Robert Slipenko, who hit a hat trick of goals during a 15-minute period. His first arrived on 51 minutes when he hammered the ball home, and the Harry’s defenders could not stop him as he found the net twice more in quick succession to win the match.

Harry’s, however, has the league’s top goal scorer – Floyd “Irons” McKenzie, who with his 14 goal tally, picks up his second DHL Golden Boot Trophy in successive seasons.

The second match at the Annex saw Kings Head and Luca round off their campaign with a 1-1 draw. After a scoreless first-half, Kings Head scored immediately after the break through Niall Hanna, but they could not hold on to their advantage, with Jonatas Borges Da Silva hitting the equalizer on 72 minutes.

The Sunday League season ends on May 21 when Bounty Hunters and Harry’s battle it out at the Annex in the Cayman Physiotherapy Cup Final.

If you value our service, if you have turned to us in the past few days or weeks for verified, factual updates, if you have watched our live streaming of press conferences or sent an article to a friend... please consider a donation. Quality local journalism was at risk before the coronavirus crisis. It is now deeply threatened. Even a small amount can go a long way to sustaining our mission of informing the public. We need our readers’ financial support now more than ever.