Supermarkets selling Ziyad Tahini have pulled the product from their shelves following a voluntary recall of because of possible salmonella contamination.
Five types of the tahini have been recalled. These include the following:
- 6x½ gal. glass jar, UPC Number 0-74265-00307-6, Lot 35417.
- 12×32 oz. glass jar, UPC Number 0-74265-00155-3, Lot 00318.
- 12×16 oz. glass jar, UPC Number 0-74265-00156-0, Lots 35317/35417/35517/35617.
- 12×88 oz. glass jar, UPC Number 0-74265-01097-5, Lots 34817/01218.
- 6×16 oz. glass jar, UPC Number 0-74265-00156-0, Lot 34917.
A press release from Foster’s Food Fair IGA advises customers to check the UPCs on the Ziyad Tahini products in their homes to be sure none of the affected product has been purchased.
The store is asking all customers who have purchased the product from any of its stores to return the item for a full refund and to discontinue use of any affected product.
The manufacturing company, based in Cicero, Illinois, said in its recall notice that it had not yet received the results of confirmation testing for salmonella, but it initiated the recalls as a precautionary move.
The salmonella was revealed as a result of a random sampling by the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development.