Get travel documents in order

People living in the Cayman Islands are urged to make sure their travel documents are in order.

Copies should be made of key documents, including passports, birth certificates, work permits and drivers’ licenses, and stored in a safe place, separate from the originals. The original documents should be kept with you in waterproof bags or containers during any emergency situation, particularly in the event of an approaching hurricane or tropical storm.

For those people who may wish to travel to the US either before, or immediately after a hurricane, it is essential that your documents are in order. It is extremely unlikely that anyone without appropriate documentation will be allowed to enter the United States in any circumstances. Those who do plan to travel to the US should also be aware that the Visa Waiver Programme only operates for commercial flights and they should therefore also obtain a US visa if travelling on charter or private flights. Those nationals looking to travel under the VWP should also apply online for Electronic System for Travel Authorisation.

British passport holders should note that an application for a passport renewal has an eight to 10 week turnaround time. Those people with passports expiring in the next six months should not send them away for renewal unless they have a second passport that could be used in the event of an emergency. US Immigration will accept a machine-readable British passport with at least one month’s validity. British passport holders should note that they are able to renew their passports at a Passport Office in the UK providing the holder is in the UK at the time. Details of this service can be found at Nationals of other countries should also give consideration to applying for a new passport if you intend to visit your home country over the summer. The following nationalities are represented in the Cayman Islands:

Austria: Contact Martin Richter at [email protected] or by calling 949-9333 during business hours.

Barbados: Contact Wingrove Hunte on 926-8303, or e-mail [email protected]

Brazil: Contact [email protected] or call 949-9876 during business hours.

Canada: or call the consul on 949-9400, or e-mail [email protected] The Consulate of Canada is located at Landmark Square, 3rd Floor, 64 Earth Close (off West Bay Road past the Strand), Seven Mile Beach. Open Monday to Thursday from 10am to 1pm. Canadian nationals can register while living abroad at

Germany: Contact Christiane Schuette-McField on 945-0115, [email protected]

Honduras: Please contact Miguel Brown at [email protected] or 939 7914 or 546


India: Contact Krishna Mani at [email protected] or 945-1565 or 916-8709

Jamaica: Jamaican Consulate: Dot Com Centre at 342A Dorcy Drive in the Industrial Park – Contact Elaine Harris on 949-9526. Emergency travel documents can be issued within 24 hours with proper proof of Jamaican nationality and identification, and the passport renewal time is two to three weeks.

Philippines: E-mail Art Ursua at [email protected] or call 925-8279

Spain: Contact Garth Arch at [email protected] or call 949-2400

Switzerland: For consular and administrative information, contact the Consulate General in Atlanta, USA on 1-404-870-2000 or e-mail [email protected] Please note that there is a turnaround time for three to four weeks for new passports. Further information can be found at For on island emergencies please contact Peter Schmid on 949-1841 or 326-4385 or by e-mail [email protected]

UK: Call the Cayman Islands Passport Office at 943-7678 or visit the Office at Sussex House, Elgin Avenue, George Town, or for other consular information contact Melenie Mylrea on 244 2431 during business hours, [email protected]

USA: Contact Dee Duggan on 945-8173, [email protected] The U.S. Consular Agency is now located at the Cayman Centre, Unit B-1, 118 Dorcy Drive

The Governor’s Office would like to remind all other foreign nationals in the Cayman Islands that the advice above also applies to them. If you have not already done so, you should consider registering with your nearest consular mission. Further details can be found on your own government web pages.