Fourth man ‘at large’ in courier robbery

Third person added to indictment; all three to appear in Grand Court on Friday

A third person was brought to Summary Court on Friday on charges relating to the 4 October daylight robbery of a Sprint courier outside BritCay House on Eastern Avenue in George Town.  

Tarick Kevin Crawford, 18, appeared before Magistrate Kirsty-Ann Gunn, who heard that a fourth man was still at large. Crown Counsel Renuka Rambhajan first mentioned the fact when she outlined her objections to bail for Crawford. Defence attorney Fiona Robertson went further and said the fourth man had been identified, “but no effort has been made to arrest him.” She offered to give the man’s name to the magistrate and then did so in writing. No name was called in court.  

Crawford is charged with robbery and possession of an unlicensed firearm – the same charges faced by John Phillip Cohen Ebanks, 50, and Manual Ramirez Carter, 32, both of whom have appeared in court already. The robbery charge involves alleged theft by force of a courier bag containing CI$8,117 and US$593 in cash in addition to more than $190,000 in cheques. 

Carter pleaded not guilty on 9 November and his attorney, John Furniss, was scheduled to make a bail application for him on Monday, 26 November. 

Ebanks was not represented initially, but in Grand Court on Friday he was advised that his attorney will be Clyde Allen. 

With Crawford’s charges transmitted to the Grand Court, all three defendants are now scheduled to appear there on Friday, 30 November. 

Ms Robertson’s bail application was successful. Among the factors cited by the magistrate in her decision was the fact that he had no previous convictions. 

She granted bail on condition that Crawford live with his mother; surrender his passport; abide by a 6pm to 6am curfew; report daily to the West Bay police station; not contact named persons of interest, witnesses or other defendants; and provide a surety in the 
sum of $60,000. 

Comments are closed.