The United Democratic Party’s George Town office has banned walk-in visitors after a disturbance last week that involved the police being called.
According to an internal email sent Friday, the disturbance involved a woman who has visited the UDP headquarters in George Town and who has made phone calls on several occasions to George Town candidates and to the office.
“She has made accusations of candidates giving large sums of money to persons,” read the email. “She has threatened to call the police, CITN [the local television station] and go to other parties because no one is assisting her with funds.”
According to the email, which was sent by UDP George Town office administrator Cindy Adam, the woman contacted People’s Progressive Movement candidate and former TV news reporter Kenneth Bryan on Friday and that both had planned to “go down to CITN” with the story.
Contacted Friday, Mr. Bryan said he had spoken to the woman but that he had no intention of bringing her to his former employer or what the UDP email was referring to.
Mrs. Adam said since Friday’s incident, a security guard was put in place and the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service was called to take a statement.
“We will not be allowing any more walk-ins from [Friday, 3 May] until the 23rd May – the office will be on lock-down,” the email read, adding that a list of approved appointments for the candidates or the office would be put together every day and handed to the security guard.
“No one will be permitted into the office unless they are on the list with an appointment,” the email stated. “We are all here to assist you, the candidates, and we need you to work with us as well.”