Police officers arrested 11 people over the weekend in the annual Christmas road safety campaign.
Eight of those were arrested for driving under the influence, two for driving while disqualified and one for driving without being qualified, according to a statement from the Royal Cayman Islands Police Service.
The Stay Alive campaign kicked off on Friday, Nov. 29.
Superintendent Adrian Seales, who is spearheading the campaign, said he was disappointed that so many people chose to ignore the warnings of the police.
“How many times do we have to tell people that they will be caught?” he said. “Drinking and driving is endemic on this island. How hard can it be to designate a driver, or make alternative arrangements to get home? We are lucky that no-one was seriously injured, or worse, as a result of this stupid behavior.
“In addition, do people who have either been disqualified or who aren’t qualified to drive honestly believe that they will get away with it? Being disqualified means that you have been caught, prosecuted and found guilty of a previous offence – clearly some people just don’t learn,” he said.
Mr. Seales added, “It’s disgraceful and downright dangerous. People may not care about their own safety, but what does this say about how little they regard the safety of innocent road users?”
The campaign will continue through the new year, until Jan. 5, 2014.
As well as checking for drink driving and for disqualified drivers, police are also on the lookout for speeding, driving while using cellphones and failing to wear seatbelts, among other offenses.
Throughout the campaign, police will set up road checks and have high visibility patrols near licensed premises.
Including those arrested over the weekend, so far this year police have arrested 189 people for drink driving offences. As of Friday, there were 882 collisions reported in the Cayman Islands. Of those, 22 resulted in serious injury and six were fatal.
Police said they would be providing updates on the Stay Alive campaign on a weekly basis.